When it comes to being old, infirm, disabled and/or bariatric, it may be hard to get around. While canes, walkers and wheelchairs can help, they do not give you the sense of freedom of another mobility device. They are not transformers electric mobility scooters are perceived to be.
What are Electric Mobility Scooters?
An electric mobility scooter is a vehicle powered by a battery. It may have three four or five wheels. It also features a space to place the feet, front handlebars to steer potentially one to three wheels. It may have a swivel seat as well as a compartment or basket to carry packages and gear.
Mobility scooters are intended for one purpose. They are to help those individuals who have trouble walking. As a result, you can purchase one of three types of mobility scooters based on use:
- For indoor use
- For outdoor use
- For indoor-outdoor use
Why Mobility Scooters?
Traditionally, individuals with mobility issues relied on walkers and/or wheel chairs to get around. The introduction of electric mobility scooters has changes this. The availability of this type of easily manoeuvred and operated form of transportation has become increasingly popular and an alternative for wheelchairs for several reasons.
- Scooters are easily operated by those who have weakened or little upper body strength or arm/shoulder stamina. This is necessary, together with flexibility, to operate a manual wheelchair
- Ease of use for those who suffer from a variety of conditions that affect the upper or even the entire body
- The chair swivels and is more convenient than using foot supports
- Models can handle a large amount of weight making it ideal for those with bariatric conditions
- Less expensive than a powered wheelchair
Yet, one of the major reasons why electric scooters have risen in popularity is their look. They do not resemble a wheel chair. They can be quite fashionable in design and style. This helps to remove any stigma from having a disability.
How to Shop for Mobility Scooters
If you can, consider attending a trade mobility show. They will showcase the latest models of electric mobility scooters. Currently, there are approximately 20 manufacturers producing their brand of scooter. This allows for plenty of choice.
The popularity of scooters also means you can find them used as well as new. Check online and you can easily discover what each scooter model can offer you and at what cost.