There are many different criteria that need to be considered when looking at finding the perfect wheelchair; the type of chair that you require can vary heavily depending on your personnel requirements and desired use. There are obviously medical requirements that need to be considered when choosing a chair, but beyond that there are a few main criteria which can help guide your choice.
- Independent use – First you may wish to consider if you will be using the chair mainly by yourself or with an attendant. If by yourself you may prefer to use a self propelling wheelchair. Similarly, if you are often helped by an attendant that will also play its part in your decision and you may wish to invest in a wheelchair with a powerpack, in order to aid the attendant, especially up steep hills.
- Frequency of use- Usability of the wheelchair may well be important to you, for example you may only want to use it whilst you’re out and about, in this case a lightweight folding wheelchair would be most suitable, as they are easy to store and travel with. However if you’re a frequent user of the chair you may want to choose a more heavy duty wheelchair or consider a wheelchair cushion in order to aid comfort and reduce sores.
- Cost- Though maybe not paramount, as with any purchase cost is an important factor to consider. There is a wide variety available in the wheelchair section on the Discount Mobility web site, from very affordablebudget wheelchairs to more expensive heavy chairs.
- Sport- Some users may wish to purchase a wheelchair they can use whilst playing sports. In this instance you are best suited to choosing a light sports chair, specifically designed to your sporting needs, often with inward facing wheels for control.
- Level of disability- You may not be in a position to manually push your own chair, but having your own freedom remains important. In this scenario, electric wheelchairs are an excellent solution. You may also have a disability that requires extra support from a chair in which case a positioning chair is more appropriate.
There is perhaps more choice amongst wheelchairs then any other disability aid, the sheer variety and choice is often a daunting prospect.
If you’re at all unsure about which wheelchair to go for, or would like more personalised guidance, call Discount Mobility for friendly, helpful advice. Browse the entire range and order online at http://www.discount-mobility.co.uk
About Discount Mobility: Discount Mobility stock an extensive range of mobility aids, including wheelchairs, scooters and rise and recline chairs at significantly reduced rates.