Information to consider before buying a New Wheelchair.
When you begin looking for the best new wheelchair to buy ensure you compare the: brand, model, weight, wheel size and costs. All these items affect the long-term value of the item.
All wheelchairs have both two or four wheels and a comfy seat that allows people with restricted or limited mobility to use them to replace walking or running.
When purchasing a new wheelchair ensure it is fully inspected on delivery, the condition of the wheelchair is critical. Inspect the structural, mechanical, and cosmetic appearance of the chair. The structural aspect of the chair is the most important. A wheelchair must be safe and reliable providing sturdy support for you or the user at all times.
Points to check are:
- The frame is not bent dented or damaged.
- Check for weakened joints.
- Check for damaged paint or rust.
- Check the tyres and ensure the wheels and axles run smooth without noise. (They can sometimes be damaged in transit)
- If you have purchased a Power Walker Wheelchair check the motor and electronic unit for damage or knocks.
- Check the wheelchair controls, wiring and safety features.
The items that must be considered when purchasing a new wheelchair vary, depending on the type of wheelchair. Electrical power walker wheelchairs have greater risk of impact related damage, but manual wheelchairs can easily shift out of alignment if not handled correctly.